Monday, June 11, 2018

I'm back—sort of


If it seems like I have been remiss in my posts it is because I have been been putting all my energy into the creation of my climate change video.

Reasonable people could wonder what has taken so much time. Good question.

1) I am not the only person stymied by this matter. There are serious climate change conferences all the time attended by scary-smart people and yet, the catastrophe has only gotten worse.

2) I am being very cautious. One of the things I learned early in life is that change agents must be factually correct all the time. If you agree with the status quo, it is possible to be wrong all the time with no ill effects. On the other hand, if you DO challenge the conventional wisdom, your room for error is essentially zero.

3) Some of this information is just mind boggling in its scale—like for example, the amount of fossil fuels the USA uses ever single day. I am pretty sure I am not the only person intimidated by the size problem, but there are times when it just seems hopeless.

4) There seems to be a new abundance of retired climate scientists who, freed from the normal constraints of employment, have now decided to broadcast their versions of the truth. Many of them have essentially declared the situation hopeless.  Read three of these things in a row and it becomes paralyzing.

5) The subject of climate change is so large, it's hard to know where to start. I wrote four openings before settling on the one I chose—and that doesn't count the dozen or so I never got around to writing.

6) Some approaches, such as creating massive political protests or singling out the "bad guys," I rejected from the start because they don't get us anywhere. Of course, this makes sound analysis even more difficult.

7) Video creates it own set of problems. Some things are not especially visual and so substitutes must be manufactured. I already know how to make 3d animations but that does not make them easy or quick. It often requires a week to make an animation that is on screen for a few seconds.

Anyway, I am really happy with what I have created. It still needs a better sound track because I do not have a the voice for that sort of thing. But the script is written and when I find the right voice, this should be a small detail. In the meantime, I now have a large time hole to fill. So it's probably back to serious blogging.

5 comments:

  1. Siri, insert some kind of thumbs up emoticon thingamajig here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We hope you enjoyed your time at our humble abode, for whatever you got done in the peace & quiet of East Orange County, FL.

    We have watched your video in 2 versions and both are great pieces of work. Your creation is the best I have seen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would not have gotten this thing done without the peace and quiet and the very real inspiration of your wonderful net-zero home. Thank you from the bottom of my heart!

      Delete
  3. Glad to hear you haven't given up or gone too far down in the other direction. Haven't checked out the latest version of your video yet, but I will, thank you. Good to have you back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the suggestion of one of Tony's friends, I reworked the opening. And I used your comment to help with the redesign. I think the new opening is much better and hope you do too.

      Delete