Ireland's Bankers Being Arrested And Charged!Posted by Alexander Higgins - July 29, 2012
The former Chief Executive and Chairman of Anglo-Irish Bank has appeared in court in Dublin charged in connection with financial irregularities at the bank.
Seán FitzPatrick was charged with 16 offenses under Section 60 of the Companies Act.
He is accused of permitting Anglo Irish Bank to give financial assistance to Patricia Quinn, her five children and ten senior clients of the bank who became known as the ‘Maple 10′, to enable the 16 to buy shares in the bank.
He was granted bail to appear in court again on 8 October for service of the book of evidence.
Mr FitzPatrick was arrested by arrangement at 5.37am this morning after getting off a flight at Dublin Airport.
The 64-year-old was then taken to the Bridewell Garda Station where at 8.08am he was charged with the 16 offences.
Mr FitzPatrick did not speak during a brief hearing at the Dublin District Court this morning.
Detective Sergeant Brian Mahon of the Garda Bureau of Fraud Investigation, on secondment to the Office of the Director of Corporate Enforcement, told the court that when he arrested Mr FitzPatrick he cautioned him and asked him if he understood. Mr FitzPatrick replied “I do”.
The detective told the court that Mr FitzPatrick replied “no comment” to each of the 16 charges.
His solicitor Michael Staines told the court that when Mr FitzPatrick became aware the gardaí were looking for him, he contacted his solicitor and organized to meet them this morning.
There was no objection to bail and Mr FitzPatrick was remanded to appear before the court again on the same day as two other former senior Anglo executives, Willie McAteer and Patrick Whelan, who were charged yesterday.
As in their cases, the court also heard the Director of Public Prosecutions has directed that Mr FitzPatrick be tried on indictment, which means his case will also be sent forward to the Circuit Criminal Court. more
And now we know why Iran is an official enemy. Look what they have done to some of their banksters. From the BBC.
30 July 2012
Four sentenced to death over $2.6bn Iran bank fraud
Four people have been sentenced to death for their roles in Iran's biggest-ever bank fraud scandal.
Two other defendants received life sentences, while 33 more will spend up to 25 years in jail, the chief prosecutor was quoted as saying.
The scandal involved forged documents reportedly used by an investment company to secure loans worth $2.6bn.
President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad last year denied allegations that his government was involved.
The identities of the defendants have not been made public.
The case broke in September 2011 when an investment firm was accused of forging documents to obtain credit from at least seven Iranian banks over a four-year period.
The money was reportedly used to buy state-owned companies under the government's privatisation scheme.
As part of their probe, authorities froze the assets of an Iranian businessman thought to be the mastermind behind the scam.
The BBC's Sebastian Usher said the firm at the heart of the scandal had moved from a small start-up capital to being worth billions of dollars.
The affair fuelled weeks of political infighting between Mr Ahmadinejad and Iran's ruling hierarchy of clerics.
Economy Minister Shamseddin Hosseini scraped through an impeachment vote in November after conservative hardliners accused him of failing to take action over the fraud. more