Thursday, November 22, 2012

Happy Thanksgiving

I come from a long line of folks who believe that gratitude is probably the ultimate sign of civilized person.  In our family, the Thanksgiving feasting didn't begin until everyone around the table had been given a chance to explain what they were truly thankful for.  Since we kids knew this was coming, we had thought about it for several days and usually had some pretty decent answers.

Today, I want to thank the people in my life who love me no matter how wound up I get with my weltschmertz.  Writing about the subjects I do, it would be easy to let the various major catastrophes in this world get me down.  And I will admit, there are times when my life force starts to flicker and sputter under the stress.  But I am reasonably healthy, I live in an area of the world that still produces WAY more food than we can possibly eat, and am warm and dry.  I have this wonderful toy that allows me to connect to like-minded people around the world.  But most of all, I have friends who are happy to see me show up and usually are interested in what I have to say.  What a gift!

So Happy Thanksgiving.  And here's to those hard-working members of the Producing Class who still make sure we have enough to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment