Friday, April 18, 2014

It's Good Friday

My traditional celebration is to listen to Bach's St. Matthew Passion BWV 244.  I first tried this ritual in 1967 and wouldn't do without it.  This year I am especially enjoying a recording by Paul McCreesh and his one voice per part experiment.

Anyone up for the nearly 3-hour experience may find this Youtube clip worth considering.  The Dutch do Bach especially well and this version was done by Ton Koopman and the Amsterdam Baroque Orchestra.  It includes a simple English subtitle track.

The following (much shorter) clip is from a performance at the Thomaskirche in Leipzig.  This is the church where Bach wrote most of his sacred music from 1723 until his death in 1750 and was the conductor of the choir—so it is ground zero for all things Bach.  It is the opening called Kommt, ihr Töchter written for two choirs, two orchestras, and a boy's choir (yes, Lutherans actually believe Bach's masterpiece is something you should teach children to sing.)  It is one of the more complex pieces of music ever written.

2 comments:

  1. I like the idea that you share here and I hope there is a fresh idea that can be shared in the future
    If later there was a chance I would like to exchange thoughts with you
    Thank you very much for sharing interesting things here
    obat kuat harga hp terbaru

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheng Chos
    Thank you for sharing in this article
    I can learn a lot and could also be a reference
    I am happy to find your website and can join to comment
    I think is very valuable to be able to read your writing, and on this occasion will
    I use for my reference source
    Thank you so much for sharing, I hope you continue to write spirit next topic
    Vimax Asli Vimax Asli Vimax Asli Vimax Asli Vimax Asli Vimax Asli Vimax Asli Vimax Asli Vimax Asli Vimax Asli Vimax Asli Vimax Asli Vimax Asli Vimax Asli Vimax Asli

    ReplyDelete